Tamara’s Spring Asparagus-Parmesan Soup
Tamara's Spring Asparagus-Parmesan Soup
- 2 bunches fresh white asparagus french gourmet product in jar if 'off' season 1 bunch fresh green asparagus-- get narrow to medium thickness stalks
- Juice of 2 Meyer lemons
- 1/3-1/2 cup of Meyer Lemon Oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup roughly grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup Chicken stock or vegetarian stock
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of low fat milk/ or can substiture plain almond milk
- Basil: I use about a 1-inch squeeze of 'Gourmet Garden' brand basil herb blend paste in a tube when fresh is not available--but if you have fresh or dried basil, use whatever works best for you.
Break off 'woody' lower sections of stalks, rinse well and steam asparagus unil softer than it would be for 'al dente' eating! In food processor or blender-jar, puree the steamed asparagus 1 cup at a time, along with chicken stock, lemon juice, olive oil, basil. Gradually add parmesan cheese, continuing to puree until smooth in consistency. Transfer to enamel-lined or coated pot adn simmer over low heat until lukewarm. Add milk, stirring and continuing to heat on LOW setting, until suitably warm to eat. Can also be eaten chilled, and with garnishes of lemon slices, parsley, or sprinkles of Parmesan cheese.