Recipe by : Kristen Norsworthy
Featured on Tuesdays with Thomas on 2/2/21
- 2 acorn squash, 1lb each (optional: substitute delicata squash, we did both)
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups ready to use sodium-free vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 tbsp. black pepper, freshly cracked and divided
- 1 tbsp. Very Cherry Balsamic
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- 1 cup arugula, roughly chopped
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts or almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half and de-seed, place cut side down on baking sheet. bake for 40-45 minutes, or until tender.
- While the squash is baking combine quinoa and broth in a regular saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cherries, cover and simmer another 2-5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cooked quinoa with the remaining ingredients until combined.
- When squash is baked, flip and fill squash with quinoa mixture. Then serve and enjoy!