Recipe by: Diane Garber of willpoweryourday.com – PCRM Food-for-Life Trainer
- Use your favorite veggies on hand or adapt as desired. Here is what I used:
- 1/3 – 1/2 Small head of purple or green cabbage, finely shredded
- Any leafy greens you enjoy
- DRIED HERBS (to your taste – but very helpful) ~ 1 Tablespoon dried parsley, 2 teaspoons thyme, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Roasted/cubed sweet potato or butternut squash
- If desired, ½ Purple onion, finely diced
- 1 Carrot, sliced or shredded
- Green beans
- Broccoli florets
- Roasted (or raw,) cubed yellow/orange beets if available
- 1/2 cup per salad serving of your favorite rinsed/no-salt added beans (garbanzo, kidney, edamame)
- 1/2 Orange
- 2- 3 tbsp. Chocolate Orange Balsamic
- Optional: Top the salad with your choice of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or sliced almonds
- Finely shred cabbage and carrot. Toss in leafy greens, combine. Once combined, sprinkle in dried herbs/pepper and mix well.
- Arrange salad on a large platter (or plate), in a decorative manner, top with roasted/cubed sweet potato/butternut squash, green beans, broccoli, and optional diced purple onion and yellow/orange beets.
- In the center of the plate/platter, place the rinsed beans. Use 1/2 of an orange: use a microplane to remove the outer orange rind (lightly remove the rind, only remove the orange color, not the white pith – include in the salad or save for another use.)
- Use 1/2 of the de-rinded orange, squeeze that juice directly the salad. Now add 2 -3 Tablespoons of California Balsamic Chocolate Orange Vinegar.
- Serve and enjoy! Optionally, top with crunchy toppings of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or sliced almonds while serving.