Recipe by: Diane Garber of willpoweryourday.com – PCRM Food-for-Life Trainer
- 2 cups rolled oats/gf oats made into finely ground flour
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 orange (rind and juice will be used)
- 2 super-ripe bananas
- SEPARATED: 3 Tablespoons Chocolate Orange Balsamic
- 1 cup acorn squash puree
- 3 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grind the oats into a flour. Place in a large bowl with baking soda and baking powder, stir well.
- Use 1 orange – directly over the mixing bowl, use a microplane to remove the outer orange rind (lightly remove the rind, only remove the orange color, not the white pith.) Now, use a separate smaller bowl to juice the orange fully. To this freshly squeezed OJ, add in the flaxmeal. Stir, set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the 2 ripe bananas and acorn squash puree in a food processor to pulverize into a smooth, loose paste. Add this to the main mixing bowl that has the oats. Now add in the orange juice/flax mixture, as well as the OJ concentrate, and 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of the Chocolate Orange Balsamic Vinegar.
- Pour batter into silicone loaf pan – or, if using a glass or metal loaf pan, line with parchment paper. Bake for 60 minutes. Use a large skewer/toothpick to make sure the bread is done – this may require up to 10 additional minutes of baking. This is a dense, delicious bread.
- Once the baking is completed and the skewer comes out dry, remove loafpan and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Now, use the skewer to make small holes in the loaf- about 3 horizontal holes for each of 10 rows. The skewer should go about 1/3 of the way into the loaf.
- With the remaining 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of the Chocolate Orange Balsamic Vinegar, use a pastry brush to coat the loaf top – this allows the yummy balsamic to infuse the bread with a divine flavor. Allow to cool fully before eating.