Recipe By: Gregg
- 3 cups of dry legumes
- 1/2 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Trader Joe’s umami mushroom seasoning (optional) or any mushrooms you like
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Gilroy Garlic Balsamic
- I start out with the 3 cups of dry legumes. I have used both yellow & green split peas as well as green or brown lentils. I rinse & soak them for a few hours but if you want to use another larger bean like a pinto or navy, I would suggest soaking overnight. I think it makes the beans much more tender. I put the legumes in my instant pot & cover with about 2″ of water that I have heated up in my electric skillet just to get it going faster but feel free to use cold water; you will just wait a longer time for it to come to pressure.
- To the beans & water I will add all the remaining ingredients except the balsamic. Put the lid on & set to Sealing & give 35 min. When it is done, let it slow release or you will have bean juice floating around your kitchen.
- When you open the lid, add 1-1/2 tablespoons of the Gilroy Garlic balsamic & serve.
This is a whole food plant based no oil or fat recipe for beans, either as a soup if you add more liquid or as a creamy/chunky side dish.. I use an instant pot for convenience but you certainly could use a slow cooker or a stove top method. any & all are wonderful. This is how I make it & it is flavorful without being overly spicy. Of course you can add more or less of any flavors as you like.