Recipe by: Maureen Kilgore, featured on Tuesdays with Thomas on 10/20/21
Sweet Heat Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 6 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Heat Balsamic
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon pepitas, optional
Pie Crust Directions:
- Soak dates in balsamic and water for a few minutes.
- Add oats, dates, liquid from dates, and cinnamon to a food processor. Process until very well incorporated.
- Add pepitas, if using, and pulse to break them up and incorporate into the mixture. Press mix into pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then cool completely, for about an hour. This step can be skipped if desired.
Chocolate Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 2 cups cooked Japanese sweet potatoes
- 5 Deglet dates
- ¼ cup Sweet Heat Balsamic
- 1 ¾ – 2 cups plant milk, depending on the moisture of your sweet potatoes
- ½ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of chipotle chili pepper or cayenne, optional
Chocolate Pie Filling Directions:
- Add all to a high speed blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Optional addition: Dust with cinnamon and/or 1 teaspoon finely chopped pepitas
- Chill pie for 4 hours.
- Layer the crust mixture and the filling mixture in a glass bowl or in individual smaller bowls to make a parfait.
- Add additional plant milk to the filling and pour into popsicle molds. After freezing, you can roll the frozen popsicles in the crust mixture, if desired, and refreeze.