Recipe by: Maureen Kilgore
Featured on Tuesdays with Thomas on 11/2/21
- 6 fresh pears, divided (I’ve used D’Anjou, Bosc, and Bartlett, but any ripe pear should work).
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 4 cups cold leftover brown rice (I used Lundberg short grain brown rice)
- 1/3 cup Simply Lemon balsamic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups plant milk
- ½ cup date paste
- 1 fresh pear for top (the reserved pear)
- Cut pears in half and remove seeds and stem. Set 1 pear aside for top.
- Roast 5 of the pears in an air fryer or oven until brown and bubbly. I used an air fryer at 390 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Put roasted pears and any juice from cooking the pears, in a bowl and mash with a fork, leaving large chunks. (This came to about 2 cups of roasted pears)
- Add golden raisins and ground flaxseed to the bowl with roasted pears. Set aside while assembling other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix together rice, Simply Lemon balsamic, lemon rind and juice, cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon, plant milk, and date paste. Mix together thoroughly. Add the roasted pears, raisins, and ground flaxseed, incorporating well.
- Pour into 9″ x 9″ pan.
- Slice the remaining pear into thin slices and place on top of the rice mixture covering the top. Dust liberally with additional cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Turn on broiler and broil for 5 minutes until pear slices are browned.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with additional Simply Lemon balsamic.
- Cool completely. This is best served cold or at room temperature.