Recipe By: Lori Gibson “The Clean Veganista”
- 2 cans young/green jackfruit packed in water, drained, rinsed, squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 each: red, yellow, orange & green bell pepper or whatever you happen to have on hand, sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder OR fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 handful fresh cilantro OR culantro, minced
- 2 tbsp. Teriyaki Balsamic
- 1 tbsp. Smoked hickory Balsamic
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp poultry seasoning
- Few turns freshly ground whiskey barrel smoked black pepper
Sides, toppings and serving suggestions:
- Flour tortillas
- Avocado or guacamole
- Refried beans
- Mexican rice
- Sliced jalapeños
- Cashew sour cream
- Using your hands, shred/break apart jackfruit pieces so that it resembles pulled chicken.
- Combine marinade ingredients, add shredded jackfruit and toss to distribute; marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 48 hours.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, add onion & peppers, cover and cook for about 8 minutes, lifting the lid and stirring 2 minutes, until tender-crisp. Add water 1 tbsp. at a time as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Add jackfruit to the skillet, cover and cook for 2-4 minutes or until the jackfruit is heated through.
- Serve with your fave toppings.