Recipe by: Eileen Mierski
Featured on Tuesdays with Thomas on 6/7/22
- 2T. raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 2 ounces chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 ounce chopped Lacinato kale, also called Tuscan or Dinosaur (optional: sub Arugula or regular kale)
- 1 T. Garden Dill Mustard Seed Balsamic (optional: substitute Simply Lemon Balsamic )
- 5 slices cucumber
- 2 T. seedless grapes, cut in halves (optional: sub Dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup cooked farro (optional: sub Wheat berries or barley)
- Optional- 1T. cilantro
- Roast the pumpkin seeds at 375 degree until they turn from green to a golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Drizzle 1 T. Garden Dill Mustard Seed dressing over the kale and Romaine lettuce. Mix it well so that each piece is lightly coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including cooled pumpkin seeds.
- Toss and enjoy!
If regular kale is used, it will need to be chopped into very small pieces because it is not as tender as Lacinato kale. This salad has a nice variety of colors, tastes and textures. The light green, sweet Romaine lettuce contrasts nicely with the dark green, slightly bitter kale. The farro adds a chewy texture, the cucumber gives a crispy crunch, and the grapes provide visual contrast and a delightful sweetness. Roasting the pumpkin seeds transforms their color, taste and texture. The sweet and savory flavor burst from the Garden Dill Mustard Seed Balsamic ties it all together and sets this salad apart!